I had originally planned to blog at least once a week, if not more frequently, but what can I say, I'm a college student, and I am a terrible journal writer.
I made it safely to school, and I have currently been on campus now for 13 days. I woke up early and was at the salt lake city airport by 5:50 am. My plane took of at 7:10 am, and I travelled all day. I spent 3 hours in the chicago airport, eating boxed salads, desperately trying to hack into a wifi, and waiting for the final leg of my journey. Finally I arrived in Roanoke at 5:15 pm, only to find out that the shuttle wouldn't be around for another hour. It took longer than that. The man from SVU who is in charge of shuttles was out of town that day, and things had gotten out of control. I ended up waiting for 2 hours at the roanoke airport with 7 other stranded Southern virginia Students.
By the time I arrived at my dorm I was tired, cranky, hungry, and emotional. I quickly unpacked the pittance of things that I had brought, and sat on my bed wondering what in the heck I had gotten myself into. I called my mom sobbing, telling her I made the wrong decision, that I wanted to come home. This behavior continued for about a week. My classes started, and I hoped things would pick up and get better, but I only found myself becoming more and more depressed. I would wake up in the morning with that actual physical sense of depression; the hole in my heart and the tightness in my chest. I received a blessing from my bishop, which brought me comfort, but once again I called my parents sobbing, telling them that I wanted to come home, and I didn't know why I was here. My dad gave me some wonderful advice, and I realized that it was all about changing my attitude. He said that missing home wasn't just going to go away, no matter how hard I prayed, or wished, and that I wasn't coming home, not matter how much I wanted to. He told me I had a choice now, and it was to love it here, or hate it here. He said, "Megan, you're there. You might as well enjoy it. Tell those homesick feelings to go to hell, and get on with being happy." haha I love my father.
Since then, my entire family went out of town, losing cell phone reception, and leaving me to grow up. I was terrified of this at first, but now I realize that I needed it to grow. I had a lovely weekend, and surrounded myself with friends and activities. I decided that I was going to face each day with a smile. I wrote over and over in my scripture study journal "I CHOOSE TO BE HAPPY!"
I CHOOSE TO BE HAPPY!... who would have thought that having the ability to choose this would change my experience here. As of today, I haven't cried for almost 4 days. I am realizing that I can be independent and happy, and still love and miss my family at the same time. I have received SO many answers to prayers, and have learned to take life here at Southern Virginia University one day at a time.
No comments:
Post a Comment