As my brother and I watched the instruction video before suiting up, we saw clips of men packing the parachute. As we know, all men and women are prone to error, but there is definitely no room for error when someone's life is on the line - literally.
The lines and cord of the parachute have to be folded precisely, without any chance of them tangling. If the cords get tangled it could make your parachute defective. This was a huge amount of trust that I had to place in those men who were packing my parachute. I had to trust that it would open, untangled, and guide me safely to the ground.
I also had to place trust in the man I was jumping tandem with. Since I, being completely unexperienced and without any knowledge of skydiving, it was severely important that he knew what he was doing; jumping at the right altitude, falling correctly, and pulling the cord for the chute to open.
Although putting trust in my tandem mate was important, it was most important for me to find and place that trust in myself. The trust that I could do it. The trust that I could conquer fears, that I could face the unknown.
Facing the unknown is not just something experienced in skydiving or any other thrill seeking adventure, but is something we must face everyday. All of us will face many trials in our life that will push us to our limits, and require us to rely on faith and trust in the lord. Facing these fears or trials cannot be done alone, just like I would never jump from a plane alone without adequate training and practice. We need the lords help in our life. As promised in Ether 12:27, if we come unto Christ, and submit to his will humbly, our weaknesses will be made strong. Just as we can jump out of a plane with trust in our parachute and tandem mate, we can face life and the trials it holds with faith and support from Heavenly Father.
Making that jump, letting my body leave the plane, was the hardest and scariest part. Afterwards, the fall was amazing, the view was beautiful, and I felt exhilarated and brave. Facing those trials and allowing Heavenly Father to guide you is hard and scary, because the future is unknown. Even though it is scary, just like skydiving, the view and experience afterwards is always better and beautiful, and you will come out being stronger.
No comments:
Post a Comment