About Me

My photo
Hello, my name is Megan! This blog is dedicated to my writings, my pondering, my musings, my searchings and the answers I find. Everyone has a story to share, a way to impact others. I want to share my stories, and my experiences, in hopes that someone else may find answers and direction for their searchings, and their musing. Love- Megan Anne.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Just to Know Thee

Yesterday Sister Braddy was kind enough to make a trip to Lexington with my roommate and me to Walmart. As we were driving, the subject came up about how she felt about her new home in Virginia. (She recently moved here from North Carolina because her husband got a job on campus) She told me that she has really loved it here, that it is different, but she is really loving it. I asked her if she missed North Carolina and her old home and such, and she replied with an answer that impressed me. She said that she missed her friends, but that life was much more simple, and the distractions and things that didn't matter simply sloughed off in her life. She said she was making more and more time for personal scripture study, more meaningful prayers, exercising, walking the dog, etc. She said that in North Carolina she was always so "busy," but looking back, she wasn't busy at all. She was just filling her day with the non essentials, and that getting down to basics here, a simple life in a simple home, has brought her much more happiness and peace.
I thought about what she said, and I realized that I had experienced the same thing coming out here too! 
Since I have been here, I have really noticed a change in myself. The first week, as mentioned before, was a nightmare for me. Sobbing every night, the actual feeling of a hole in my heart, dreading each morning. I know that the only way that I made it through was because of my diligent study of the scriptures (not just reading), more meaningful prayer (morning and night), exercising faith every morning when I woke up, and picturing the Holy Ghost actually by my side; holding my hand, telling me that everything would be okay. 
So here I am, surviving the college life, and actually enjoying it. I now realize another one of the reasons why I am supposed to be here. It is clear that I needed to learn to rely on the lord 100%. I needed to learn to put my relationship with him before ANYTHING else, even my family that I was missing so much. I can recognize my change of heart, just as King Lamoni's father did in Alma 22:18. He prayed to the lord saying, "...make thyself known unto me, and I will give away all my sins to know thee..."
I too would give away all that I have to better know my Heavenly Father, and to strengthen my relationship with Him. Just as sister Braddy said, when she got rid of the distractions in her life, and focused on what really mattered, she found peace and happiness. So have I.
Today Elder M. Keith Gibbons, of the 6th quorum of the Seventy, came and talked to our school. He talked about the atonement and the message of hope that it brings. He talked about how we can do hard things because of that atonement and the sanctification of the Holy Ghost. Needless to say, it was amazing. He gave us a quote from President Hinckley that I want to leave with you...
"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is, it all works out, don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out in the end. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He WILL NOT forsake us. If we put our trust in Him, if we pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

No comments:

Post a Comment