Facebook. There’s so much to say about the social networking evil; the online source of withdrawal from the human world; the connection to others through a screen. People spend hours on Facebook, chatting with so called friends, stalking ex lovers, starting Facebook drama, etc. I personally couldn't care less about the entire social networking world. The only reason that I currently possess a Facebook account is because I am here in Virginia and my friends and family wanted to see pictures and keep in touch; which is completely ludicrous, since I haven’t posted any pictures lately, and hardly talk to them via Facebook anyway.
Apparently there is much excitement or discord about the recent changes made to Facebook, and the changes that are yet to come. In all honesty I have barely been on enough to notice. I suppose only the individuals who spend their lives on Facebook would be the ones discontent with the changes made; those individuals whose only source of conversation is through a computer screen, and who are living their life one Facebook status update at a time. So what about future changes? Who cares! By the end of this paper I will have persuaded myself to delete my Facebook for a third time anyway. The more that I write about Facebook, or even think about Facebook, the more I hate it.
Facebook has ruined people’s social skills and manners. Find me a junior high or high school age student who can have a meaningful conversation, with eye contact, without using the words um or like every five-seconds, and I will drop over dead. Over Facebook, or any type of social media, things are said that should not be said. People think that just because they are not face to face with that person that they can say whatever they want; that suddenly it is okay to be unkind or judgmental. People think that they can say something cruel or sarcastic, and by putting a “jk” at the end, it makes it okay.
Facebook has also been a major cause or motivating factor in affairs and ended marriages. When lonely spouses log onto Facebook, they are able to search for long lost high school friends, or long lost high school lovers. I have heard countless stories of this sort, and several complaints from bishops and stake presidents about how Facebook is affecting marriages and family life. They reconnect with these people, maybe get together socially, talk about their loneliness, and before you know it, their moving out and divorces are happening.
I don’t believe there is an end coming soon to this boom of social networking, or lack of personal communication. I personally plan to disconnect myself from the Facebook world. Blogging is much better. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment