About Me

My photo
Hello, my name is Megan! This blog is dedicated to my writings, my pondering, my musings, my searchings and the answers I find. Everyone has a story to share, a way to impact others. I want to share my stories, and my experiences, in hopes that someone else may find answers and direction for their searchings, and their musing. Love- Megan Anne.

Monday, October 24, 2011

We are the 99% - College Composition Assignment

     "We are the 99%!" That is what the posters and the protesters are yelling in Zuccotti park, hoping to be heard, hoping to make a difference. The Occupy Wall Street participants are hoping for a presidential commission, tasked with ending the influence that money (lobbyists) has over representatives in Washington D.C. However, this demonstration is not just about lobbyists, it is about the influence of the wealthiest 1% of Americans on US Laws and Policies. They are asking for higher taxes placed on the wealthier percent of American Citizens, for student loans to be forgiven, for Wall Street to take responsibility for the negative effect on the economy, and much more.
     This is not a completely "Left-Leaning" demonstration. There are liberals, anarchists, libertarians, environmentalists, and Tea Party members all joining together to raise their voices as the 99% of Americans  who have been unjustly treated by our government.
     I am just barely entering the political scene, only being 19 years old, but such issues have sparked my interest, making me want to know more. I want to be involved. I sincerely want to know where I stand on world issues and government policies. I want to have an opinion and a voice. My roommate told me that based on how I talk about government, she thinks that I am a Tea Party member, which perhaps I agree with. As I become more aware of political parties and happenings, I begin to understand hat I don't want to be associated with democratic or republican parties. I've said it many times; Government DOES NOT mean political parties.
     But...Is there a solution? Have things gone to far? Have leaders remained unchecked for too long? Is the damage done to our economy and National values repairable? Ask yourself these questions. Figure out where you stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment