When I was little I used to rummage through my dads closet looking for various things: gum, quarters, earplugs, etc. Whenever I would look through his shelves of things, I would always find a quote on a tattered and worn piece of paper. It said "Leap and the Net Will Appear."
I remember having a few family night lessons on this subject, about trusting in the lord, that the faithful need not fear, and so on. It is an easy principle to listen to, talk about, and understand, but I never really applied it until now.
For weeks now I have been contemplating why Heavenly Father wanted me here... in Southern Virginia.. of all places. Why would He direct me to this small city where He knew I would struggle?
This past weekend was the 181st Semi Annual General Conference of the Church, and it was through the messages of the Prophet and Apostles that I found my answer to those questions.
I made of list of 8 questions that I had been praying about and contemplating, and I took those questions to conference with me in attempt to have some of them answered. It turns out that the Lord really does bless those who prepare themselves, and who do their share of the work when seeking for guidance and answers.
It seemed to me that talk after talk was about trusting in the Lord, relying on the Lord, choosing to follow the Savior, waiting upon the Lord, etc. Each talk filled my heart with comfort and peace, as it was suddenly made clear to me why I need to be here. I need to truly rely on the Lord... and what a perfect setting to learn this principle... in a place far far away from family, a place with few distractions, and a place with a humble spiritual environment.
Heavenly Father knows my struggles, and the trials that are in my life, and He is simply waiting on me to completely trust Him, to act on faith, so he can take my hand and guide me safely home. For too long I have let my simple fears control some of my choices. I have struggled for years now, always so close to freedom from the trial, but never quite there because of fear. Fear is the absence of faith, and without faith, I will not make it through. I've spent hours on my knees in prayer, pleading with Heavenly Father to take this trial from me, to help me through. I had the faith, but I never acted on it, or relied on it.
So now it is up to me. I have received the answers to my prayers that were much needed, and I know what I need to do. Here in Virginia, it is my choice to jump or to stay fixed in my old habits and mind set. I choose to act on faith, knowing with all my heart and mind, that everything will be okay; that Heavenly Father will bare me up, and deliver me from my afflictions.
Such a simple principle, but often, such a difficult decision. I think back to that tattered and worn piece of paper that I held in my hands all those years ago. I think about the message of that quote, the messages from the Prophet and Apostles given last weekend, and I think about the answers I have received through prayer, the scriptures and through others. I know what to do; Leap and the Net Will Appear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment