About Me

My photo
Hello, my name is Megan! This blog is dedicated to my writings, my pondering, my musings, my searchings and the answers I find. Everyone has a story to share, a way to impact others. I want to share my stories, and my experiences, in hopes that someone else may find answers and direction for their searchings, and their musing. Love- Megan Anne.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Science and Abortion - College Composition Assignment - Third Minor Essay

As I review some of the more recent discoveries and practices developed by the scientific field, specifically the field of Medical Science, I am continually amazed at the giant rift being created by the lack of ethics. As medical science has progressed, a change of attitude or change of moral code has also occurred. I am specifically referring to abortions. Pro-Choice individuals view the safer and more advanced procedures of abortion as medical break throughs, and do not see the unethical side of terminating a nine week old fetus. Many of these people do not believe that a nine week old fetus is alive, but this is far from the truth. As early as week two of a woman’s pregnancy, the X and Y or X and X chromosomes have combined, determining all the baby’s physical characteristics, including gender, and the cells continue to divide rapidly progressing fetal development. By the end of week five, the embryo’s spinal cord is forming, the brain is formed and is receiving nutrients and oxygen through the placenta. By week six the embryo has a heart beat and the brain has divided into five parts, and blood moves through the developed parts of the embryo. By week nine, the most common week for women to abort the baby, fingers, toes, the lips and the upper nose have formed, its brain continues to grow rapidly, and its veins are clearly visible. Now may I ask, how is this not a human life? 
One positive result of flourishing medical science, is the discovery of the stages of embryo and fetal development, which allow us to see abortion from a different perspective. 
Abortion is unethical. It terminates a human life and causes strain and depression on the pregnant woman. There are astounding facts found on onlineforlife.org, some being:  22% of all pregnancies end it abortion, young adult women who undergo induced abortions increase their chances of depression dramatically, and less than 2% of women who get abortions became pregnant from rape or incest. 
If less than 2% of pregnancies result from rape or incest, that makes the Pro-Choice people’s argument about women having an unwanted pregnancy due to rape or incest, inaccurate and insubstantial. 
I know this is a very touchy subject to blog about, but I cannot see how anyone could knowingly terminate a human life, inside of them or a patient. I do not completely blame science for the rise in abortions, but those who created abortions, and those who perfected the procedures should be deeply ashamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment