As Thanksgiving break approaches quickly, I find myself increasingly anxious and grateful for the opportunity to get away. Have you seen (or rather have you smelt or tasted) the food that they serve in the cafeteria? YUCK!
Each day I am discouraged to even get ready because I know I will end up smelling like the cafeteria (sausage or bacon) right after breakfast. I am weary when I swipe that little meal card upon entering the Dining Hall, knowing that I'm being charged $4.50 for a piece of toast and an apple, or a salad, or some sort of nutrient killed, steamed to death frozen vegetable.
I suppose the food they provide is more out of economic interest. They can buy frozen items easily in bulk and canned items and things that will store for a long time, but for Heaven's sake, does anybody believe in eating healthy anymore? What happened to the nutrients in food being important, and when did it become okay to glut ourselves on high-fat, greasy, nutrient depleted foods? I know I am not the only one with the same burning frustration. I see several people every day sticking only to the salad bar and the gluten free section.
Don't get me wrong, I am extremely grateful for the constant salad bar, and the somewhat decent food that they do provide. I know that there are millions and millions of people on this earth that go without, and to have food readily available, already prepared, at any time of the day would seem like paradise to them. I know that I am extremely blessed, and there isn't a day that I do not thank that Lord for this blessing and the way that I live. All I am saying is that it wouldn't hurt to provide whole grain products and fresh foods for the better promotion of nutrition and overall well being.
the foods that they serve now are not health promoting. They are low in fiber, and high in saturated fat and sugar content. they promote weight gain and obesity because of their high caloric nature and low nutrient value.
I took a nutrition course this past summer from Weber State University, and have done a lot of research, including the reading of the book Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman. I have watched movies such as Food Inc. and Supersize Me. I have learned so much about the nutrition content of food, and how whole and fresh foods boost our immune systems and promote overall well being. I also learned what the food like the cafeteria serves can do to our bodies, making them sluggish and sickly. I cannot stand to eat it.
I'm excited for some fresh and healthy food this next week as I escape to the Jacobsens house in Ohio. I cannot wait to escape the world of the SVU Cafeteria.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment