About Me

My photo
Hello, my name is Megan! This blog is dedicated to my writings, my pondering, my musings, my searchings and the answers I find. Everyone has a story to share, a way to impact others. I want to share my stories, and my experiences, in hopes that someone else may find answers and direction for their searchings, and their musing. Love- Megan Anne.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Duty of The Freedom of Speech - College Composition Writing Assignment

The principal of the Layton High School Seminary (also a good friend of mine) came to me one day to ask me a favor. "Megan," he said, "would you be willing to say the opening prayer tonight at the city council meeting? They want the seminary council president to do it, but technically they aren't allowed to ask... so will you volunteer to say it?"
I was puzzled and replied, "sure i'd love to," but there was just one problem, I had no idea where they met, what times they met, who was on the council, or if I would be completely out of place in that room. Would I be the only one there not a city official or business man?
I was directed where to go, and told the time of the meeting, and readied myself to go. At 7 pm I arrived at the city building. I looked in the council room and only saw two people sitting on one of the benches. The council seats were empty. I walked quietly and sat behind the other people in the room and began a conversation with them. They came often to the city meetings because it was an assignment for their American Government class. A little bit later a couple small 10 year old scout groups showed up, in uniform, no doubt to fulfill a merit badge requirement. A few more high required students trickled in, all with paper they had to fill out. One warned me that the meeting were long and boring.
finally the city council members filtered in from a back room, along with the mayor. I said the prayer and then the meeting began. I looked around quite shocked and confused.
Where were all the townspeople like you see on movies? Everyone sitting in the audience was required to be there and were scribbling short notes on their papers. One had out a laptop playing solitaire, and another even had ear buds in. I was troubled by this. There was nobody here to participate in our cities government decisions; decisions that nonetheless effect each person.
Normal Rockwell did a beautiful painting of freedom of speech, where a man, an average working class man, stands among business men and voices his opinion in his city council meeting. This to me speaks about the duty of the freedom of speech. Every American citizen has the duty to participate in their government. We have been given the Freedom of speech, but it is useless to us unless we take an active part in the government of our towns, cities, states, and country.
Get involved! Every city of town has meeting very often, and they are open to the public. Go! listen to what decisions are being made concerning your city, decisions that effect your taxes, your family, and your way of living.

No comments:

Post a Comment