About Me

My photo
Hello, my name is Megan! This blog is dedicated to my writings, my pondering, my musings, my searchings and the answers I find. Everyone has a story to share, a way to impact others. I want to share my stories, and my experiences, in hopes that someone else may find answers and direction for their searchings, and their musing. Love- Megan Anne.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Writing Down the Bone

This week in my creative writing class, we had an author, who specializes in personal essays, come and speak to our class. I was impressed and entertained of the stories that she told us, and the advice that she gave us for our own personal essays. What impacted me that most, and caused me to start blogging again, is what she told us about her essay "Drinking Blue Milk," an essay about her experience with sexual molestation as a child. She submitted the essay into an essay contest and actually won.

For awhile we questioned her how she would dare write something so personal, something that sat so close to her heart, something that hurt, something that she probably didn't want others to know about her. She talked about how as artists, there comes a time when you feel called to do a work. She continually felt the need to write her story, write it down, get it out, put it on the page and let it be. So she did. That was 20 years ago, and she still has people who tell her how much it has helped them. She has continued to write about her own personal experiences, and because she is honest and descriptive, she continually is being told her much her essays help others.

She then told us that we also had a story, each one of us, and if we chose to write it down and share it, that it would help someone. I left that class feeling so empowered, and 'called' to do a work. I started by story that night, and have been working on it every day.

Until I finish my 'story', my personal essay, I will be using this blog as my creative writing journal. We are required to write 1,000 words a week, and write poetry (this week) for 10 minutes a day. I hope you will all look forward to reading my posts, because I am looking forward to seriously writing again.

I feel so alive when I write things that really matter, that I think are beautiful. I am excited to be in a creative writing class again, it has been far too long!

I'll see ya tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment